Saturday, April 25th at 6pm is the 2009 - Puttin On The Leash Event to benefit the Humane Society of Boulder Valley. The event is located at the Coors Event Center on the CU Boulder Campus. Our goal for the event is to raise $300K for the programs and services that are provided straight back into the Boulder County Communities.
As some of you know I joined the board of the Humane Society of Boulder Valley a little over a year ago and have been lucky to see firsthand all the good work this group does year in and year out.
In 1904 the Humane Society of Boulder Valley was founded to protect those who did not have a voice to protect themselves. Each year this mission is supported as they counter animal neglect and cruelty and literally save the lives of thousands of animals.
The Humane Society of Boulder Valley is a private, nonprofit organization that relies on donations from generous supporters. The HSBV is not operated or funded by any national humane groups or governmental agencies and must rely on contributions to bring its services to Boulder and surrounding communities.
Here are some interesting Fun Facts about the HSBV.
- The HSBV serves 8,000 animals annually.
- The HSBV facilitates 5,300 adoptions annually.
- 40% of the animals who come through the front doors of the HSBV need some type of medical attention through the shelter medicine program.
- 150 Dogs received behavioral modification training last year, from food guarding to separation anxiety.
- Average length of stay for dogs is 4 days, for cats 10, these are outstanding statistics!
- Some of the services the HSBV provides include, Adoptions, lost and found, Veterinary Clinic, Behavior and Training Center, Humane Education, Pet Retail Supplies...
- The HSBV Live Release Rate, representing the percentage of animals who come through the door and are reunited with their guardians or placed with a new family is 89% - this is among the highest in the nation.
If you have never been to this event before, it's a really fun way to spend an evening in Boulder. Its basically a huge cocktail party with foods from 20 different restaurants in Boulder and over 600 silent auction items made up of goods and services all donated from local businesses and individuals. As you walk around the party, there are tons of Adoption Center dogs cruising the event (all of which ending up with multiple new families offers before the end of the evening).
At the end of the evening there is a live auction with an amazing list of stuff this year.
Dress is casual, although there will be people in Tuxes and others in space suits, its Boulder – it's all GOOD!
As you can tell I am very passionate about this cause, and generally speaking this is the Vernon families' major charity effort each year! My personal feeling is that this is a critical fundraising year because of the economy. If you have never been to this event and would like to go, shoot me an email – or tweet me @toddvernon and I will hook you up with a homeboy deal virtually guaranteeing you have a blast, and have enough money in your pocket to bid on some of the great silent auction items.
If you can't make it to the event this year, let me know and I would be ecstatic to pass along any donation that you could make!
Hope to see you there!